[ARCHIVED CATALOG] 2016-2017 Undergraduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Secondary Education, B.A.
The secondary education major engages students in a combination of courses in the Arts and Sciences and in the Education Department. Students choose one area of specialization from the following content areas: English, math, or social science. The Secondary Education Program meets the Florida State standards and coursework requirements for graduates to obtain teaching certification. Secondary education majors are required to take the Subject Area Exam for grades 6–12 of the Florida Teacher Certificate Exam.
The Saint Leo Secondary Education Program has been designed to align with the Florida Department of Education competencies and skills for teacher education preparation programs.
Students in the Department of Education are expected to demonstrate dependability, good character, and acceptable academic standing. Students are therefore evaluated on their academic, professional, and ethical performance in their coursework, as well as in their field experiences. If a student demonstrates inadequate performance in any of these areas, the Professional Standards Committee may be called upon to address the issue(s). Issues regarding academic dishonesty are handled by the Saint Leo University Academic Standards Committee.
Entrance into the program requires students to:
1. meet Saint Leo University Explorations (General Education) requirements or transfer in with an Associate of Arts degree from another accredited institution;
2. pass the General Knowledge (GK) portion of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam prior to or during the first semester in the junior year;
3. enter with and maintain a GPA of 2.5 throughout the program.
During the semester prior to the final internship, students must complete a formal application to intern. Final Internship is a full-time, semester-long, student-teaching experience in a middle grades classroom. To qualify for final internships
1. have completed all specialization courses and all EDU courses; however, EDU 428 may be completed concurrently with final internship;
2. have a 2.5 overall GPA and a minimum of a grade of C in all education courses;
3. complete a background check prior to field placement;
4. complete a formal application by February 15 or October 15 prior to the internship semester; and
5. pass all required portions of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam.
To graduate with a degree in secondary education, students must:
1. satisfy all requirements listed above for internship;
2. receive a passing grade for EDU 480: Internship and EDU 481: Internship Seminar; and
3. satisfactorily complete all requirements for a bachelor’s degree as set forth elsewhere
in the catalog.