[ARCHIVED CATALOG] 2012-2013 Undergraduate Academic Catalog 
    Jun 16, 2024  
[ARCHIVED CATALOG] 2012-2013 Undergraduate Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Admissions Policies and Procedures


Saint Leo University is committed to policies that ensure there is no discrimination on the basis of age, gender, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, or disability. The University prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in admission or access to its educational programs and associated activities.

Students with disabilities requiring special services should identify themselves and their needs to the Office of Disability Services, Admission Office, Continuing Education Center, or Graduate Studies Office as soon as possible after receiving notification of their admission to the University.

Students interested in attending Saint Leo University's traditional, residential undergraduate areas of study should refer to the section outlining admission information for University College .

Students interested in attending Saint Leo University at one of our Division of Continuing Education and Student Services  centers should refer to the section outlining those procedures.

Students interested in attending Saint Leo University by taking their entire classwork online through the Center for Online Learning  should refer to the section outlining those procedures.

Transfer Credit Policies

Students are classified as transfer students if they have previously registered at any other college or university as a matriculated student, regardless of the amount of time spent in attendance or credit earned. To receive individualized information regarding the evaluation of transfer credits, students must first apply for admission and submit the application fee.

The University does not provide an official Saint Leo University transcript of transfer credit until successful completion of at least one course at Saint Leo University. A student must be currently enrolled or have completed 30 credit hours at Saint Leo University in order to continue to have transfer credit from other regionally accredited institutions added to his or her Saint Leo University transcript. No quality points are awarded for transfer credit.

Saint Leo University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097; telephone 404/679-4501) to award the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and specialist's degrees. Saint Leo credits should transfer to other regionally and nationally accredited institutions, but the final decision on acceptance of transfer credits and degrees earned at Saint Leo will be determined by the receiving institution.

Traditional Transfer Credit

Saint Leo University recognizes transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions. Non-regionally accredited coursework may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Transfer credit is assessed on the educational quality of the learning experience; the comparability of the nature, content, and level of the learning experience; and the applicability of the learning experience in light of the student’s educational goals.

Credit earned more than 10 years prior to the date of application to Saint Leo University is subject to review when the transfer evaluation is done and may not be applicable to a current degree program.

The maximum number of credits that can be transferred and accepted from community or junior colleges by Saint Leo University is 64 hours.

The associate of arts degree holder may earn a bachelor's degree by electing one of Saint Leo University's majors, satisfying all degree requirements, and completing a minimum of 30 credit hours at Saint Leo University, 15 of which must be in the major.

Students who transfer to the University are not expected to complete the entire core, for we recognize that other colleges and universities have legitimate alternative means of providing students with a firm basis with liberal arts. Students transferring to Saint Leo University with an associate of arts degree will have LINK (general education) requirements met with the exception of COM 140 - Basic Computer Skills  (or successfully pass a PC applications competency examination) and a religious studies course at the 300 or 400 level.

Students who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university will be considered to have satisfied all LINK (general education) requirements, except for a religious studies course at the 300 or 400 level, for a degree from Saint Leo University. Such students may earn a bachelor's degree by electing one of Saint Leo University's majors, satisfying all degree requirements, and completing a minimum of 30 credit hours at Saint Leo University, 15 of which must be in the major. No quality points are awarded for transfer credit.

Permission to enroll in courses at another institution of higher education will be granted to students only in one of the following situations: (a) if the course the student wishes to take is not offered by Saint Leo University, (b) if the student is in senior status and is required to take a particular course for graduation that is not scheduled to be offered during that student's senior year, or (c) if the student has met residency requirements but no longer has access to a Saint Leo University Center. Prior approval to take courses elsewhere must be sought by the student in order to ensure that the course credits will be acceptable to the University and, where appropriate, would be applicable to the student's degree requirements. The student must meet with his or her academic Dean, Regional Continuing Education Center Director, or COL Director, as appropriate, to request such an approval. Upon completion of a course taken elsewhere, the student must have an official transcript forwarded from the other institution to his or her Center at Saint Leo University.

Nontraditional Transfer Credit

Saint Leo University recognizes nontraditional transfer credit earned or validated through the methods listed below.

Military Service Courses and Training

Credit for military courses and training may be granted, based on formal evaluation by the Registrar and credit recommendations in the guides to the evaluation of military credit published by the American Council on Education (ACE). The maximum limit upon this category of transcript credit is 39 semester hours.

Criminal Justice Training Experience

Elective course credit for training may be awarded based upon individual evaluations of official criminal justice training certificates and/or transcripts. A total of 15 elective credits may be awarded for the Basic Police and/or Corrections Academy training where that training has received State approval. The Basic Police and/or Corrections Academy training will be calculated in the following manner: 1 to 200 training hours may be considered for 3 elective credit hours, 200 to 400 training hours may be considered for up to 6 elective credit hours, and 400 or more training hours may be considered for a maximum of 15 elective credit hours. Basic Police and/or Corrections Academy training hours cannot be used for anything other than elective credit.

Additional elective credit may be awarded for other criminal justice training. This elective training is calculated in the following format: For every 100 hours of criminal justice documented training, submitted simultaneously, 3 elective credit hours may be awarded up to a maximum of 6 elective credit hours. In order to receive consideration for elective credit, students must submit a copy of the training certificate with the number of hours clearly identified by the training institution or an official transcript from a Regionally Accredited Educational Institution to their academic advisor and complete the necessary documentation for submission. No in-service or mandatory re-training hours will be accepted for elective credit. Any certificate without the documented training hours will not be considered.

A maximum of 21 elective credit hours may be awarded.

Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction

The University recognizes credit recommendations established by the American Council on Education and published in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. Credit is also recognized from the Directory of the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction conducted by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York. A maximum of 33 hours may be awarded.

Online Prior Learning Assessment Course for Undergraduates

Prior Learning is a term used by educators to describe learning acquired outside a traditional academic environment. This may have been through work experience, employer training programs, military training and experience, independent study, non-credit courses, volunteer or community service, and so on.
What is Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) describes the evaluation of an individual’s learning for college credit, certification, or advance standing toward further education or training. The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) defines PLA as follows: “The recognition of learning gained from experiences that may be granted credit or otherwise certified. The assessment of learning attained through experiences irrespective of the time and place in which they occurred” (Fiddler, Marienau, & Whitaker, 2010, p. 12).
Fiddler, M. Marienau, C., & Whitaker, U. (2010). Assessing learning: Standards, principles, and procedures (2nd ed.).                                                                Chicago, IL: The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning.
In order to apply for experiential learning credits, students must enroll in the Prior Learning Assessment course that is offered each term in order to learn how and what to submit for review and consideration to receive Prior Learning credits. Faculty from colleges and universities across the country in each content area will evaluate prior learning portfolios and recommend credit awards. These recommendations will be recorded on an American Council on Education (ACE CREDIT) transcript.
The maximum number of credits for experiential learning which may be awarded to a student is 15 credits. Some types of experiential learning for which credit will be awarded include: Management and Computer Information Systems experiential learning gained through certificate programs or self-taught learning. Learners successfully completing the Prior Learning Theory and Practice course will receive 3 elective credits.

PLA 100 Prior Learning Theory and Practice
Tuition for PLA 100 is $717. This can be covered through Financial Aid, if eligible.
Portfolio Evaluation
An additional $250 will be charged directly to the student for portfolio review and evaluation of up to 12 credits in one content area.
For more information about the Prior Learning Assessment course and program offered by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL), please contact your Academic Advisor. Your Academic Advisor will be able to enroll you in this course.

Standardized Examinations

The University recognizes the following standardized examinations at the credit levels recommended by the respective testing services:

  • Excelsior College Examinations (formerly ACT PEP: Regents)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) general examinations and specific subtests. Up to 40 credits may be earned through the general examinations. Information on CLEP exams may be obtained by contacting www.collegeboard.org.
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). Information on DANTES may be obtained by contacting www.getcollegecredit.com.

In most cases, transfer credit is granted in accordance with scores recommended by the American Council of Education. However, there are specific exceptions in which the University requires a higher score than the recommended score in order to fulfill degree requirements. Students should meet with their academic advisor prior to taking any standardized tests.

The maximum limit on standardized examination transfer credit is 40 semester hours. All such credit will be listed on the student's transcript and will not be removed once it has been added to the transcript.

Advanced Placement Exam

Transferability Guidelines

Credit awarded with score of 3 or higher

Biology BIO 225 , BIO 1XX
Calculus AB MAT 231  
Calculus BC MAT 231 , MAT 232 
Chemistry CHE 123 , CHE 1XX
Chinese Language and Culture FRL 2XX
Computer Science A COM 207 
English Language and Composition ENG 121 , ENG 1XX
English Literature and Composition ENG 121 , ENG 122 
Environmental Science PSC 1XX
French—Language FRL 1XX (6 credits)
German—Language FRL 1XX (6 credits)
Government and Politics/Comparative POL 223 
Government and Politics/U.S. POL 223 
History—Art ART 123 , FAS 101 
History—European HTY 124 , HTY 1XX
History—U.S. HTY 121 , HTY 122 
History—World SSC 102 
Human Geography GEO 1XX
Japanese Language and Culture FRL 2XX
Latin/Vergil FRL 1XX (6 credits)
Macroeconomics ECO 201 
Microeconomics ECO 202 
Music Theory MUS 123 , MUS 121 
Physics B PHY 221 , PHY 222 
Physics C—Mechanics PHY 221 
Spanish—Language SPA 111 , SPA 112 
Spanish—Literature SPA 212 , SPA 211 
Statistics MAT 201 
Studio Art ART 221 , ART 1XX

CLEP Standardized Tests

Transferability Guidelines

Credit is accepted based on the minimum acceptable score recommended by ACE.

Composition and Literature  
American Literature ENG 2XX, ENG 320 
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature ENG 122 , ENG 1XX
College Composition ENG 121 , ENG 122 
English Literature w/Essay ENG 312 , ENG 313 
Humanities FAS 101 , HUM 1XX

Social Sciences and History

American Government POL 223 
Human Growth & Development EDU 226 
Intro to Educational Psychology PSY 423 
Introductory Psychology PSY 121 
Introductory Sociology SOC 121 (R,T) 
Principles of Macroeconomics ECO 201 
Principles of Microeconomics ECO 202 
Social Sciences and History SSC 1XX, HTY 1XX
History of United States I HTY 121    
History of United States II HTY 122 
Western Civilization I HTY 123 
Western Civilization II HTY 124 

Science and Mathematics

Biology SCI 102 , SCI 1XX
Calculus MAT 231 
Chemistry CHE 123 , CHE 124 
College Algebra MAT 151 
College Mathematics MAT 131 
Natural Sciences SCI 101 , SCI 102 
Precalculus MAT 152 


Financial Accounting ACC 201 
Info Systems & Computer Applications COM 1XX
Intro Business Law GBA 231 
Principles of Management MGT 301 
Principles of Marketing MKT 301 

Foreign Languages

French FRL 1XX
German FRL 1XX
Spanish Language SPA 111 , SPA 112 
Spanish Language (score 50 or above) SPA 111 , SPA 112 , SPA 211 , SPA 212  

DANTES Subject Standardized Tests

Transferability Guidelines

Credit is accepted based on the minimum acceptable score recommended by ACE.

Art of the Western World ART 123 
Astronomy PSC 1XX
Business Ethics and Society PHI 328 
Business Law II GBA 332 
Business Math ELE 1XX
Civil War and Reconstruction HTY 331 
Criminal Justice CRM 220 
Environment and Humanity ENV 1XX
Ethics in America PHI 224 
Principles of Finance MGT 325 
Principles of Financial Accounting ACC 201 
Foundations of Education EDU 1XX
Fundamentals of College Algebra MAT 128 
Fundamentals of Counseling PSY 1XX
General Anthropology SSC 1XX
Here's to Your Health BIO 1XX
History of the Vietnam War HTY 1XX
Human Cultural Geography SSC 1XX
Human Resource Management MGT 331 
Intro to Business GBA 105 
Intro to Computing COM 1XX
Intro to Law Enforcement CRM 422 
Intro to the Modern Middle East HTY 233 
Intro to World Religions REL 223 
Lifespan Developmental Psychology PSY 325 
Management Information Systems MGT 327 
Money and Banking ECO 366 
Organizational Behavior MGT 412 
Personal Finance MGT 1XX
Physical Geology SCI 101 
Principles of Physical Science I SCI 101 
Principles of Public Speaking SPH 221 
Principles of Statistics MAT 201 
Principles of Supervision MGT 1XX
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union HTY 325 
Substance Abuse SSC 328 
Technical Writing ENG 2XX
Western Europe Since 1945 SSC 102 

Excelsior Exams (Formerly Regents)

Transferability Guidelines

Credit is accepted based on the minimum acceptable score with a grade of C or higher recorded by Excelsior.

REG-459 Abnormal Psychology PSY 327 
REG-554 Adult Nursing ELE 3XX
REG-460 American Dream Part I HTY 3XX, HUM 3XX
REG-506 Anatomy and Physiology BIO 225 , BIO 226 
REG-410 College Writing ENG 121 
REG-542 Community Health Nursing ELE 1XX
REG-545 Cultural Diversity SSC 322 
REG-434 English Composition ENG 121  , ENG 1XX
REG-484 Ethics: Theory and Practice PHI 224 
REG-407 Foundations of Gerontology SSC 1XX
REG-403 Foundations of Nursing ELE 1XX
REG-486 Human Resource Management MGT 331 
REG-411 Juvenile Delinquency CRM 370 
REG-538 Labor Relations MGT 441 
REG-583 Lifespan Developmental Psychology PSY 325 
REG-565 Literacy Instruction Elementary Ed EDU 3XX
REG-536 Management in Nursing ELE 3XX
REG-453 Maternal/Child Nursing AA ELE 1XX
REG-457 Maternal/Child Nursing BA ELE 3XX
REG-559 Maternity Nursing ELE 1XX
REG-558 Microbiology BIO 425 
REG-435 Organizational Behavior MGT 412 
REG-584 Pathophysiology BIO 1XX
REG-485 Psychology of Adulthood/Aging PSY 3XX
REG-503 Psychology/Mental Health Nursing PSY 3XX
REG-509 Religions of the World REL 223 
REG-436 Research Methods in Psychology SSC 320 
REG-537 Research in Nursing ELE 3XX
REG-412 Social Psychology PSY 328 
REG-408 Statistics MAT 201 
REG-512 World Conflicts HTY 3XX
REG-487 World Population SSC 3XX

Examinations and minimum scores acceptable for credit are subject to change.

International Students

Saint Leo University accepts international students in all programs except for those offered at Continuing Education Centers located at military installations. Interested applicants should refer to "International Student Admission Policies ".

Special/Transient Students

The University is prepared to enroll a limited number of students who wish to take selected courses for credit but who do not wish to study for a degree. These students must complete a short application, which can be obtained from the Admissions Office at University Campus or from the Continuing Education Center where they wish to attend. Special/transient students need not provide transcripts from previous institutions except in cases where the course(s) the student wishes to take require prerequisites. In that case, a transcript showing successful completion of the prerequisite courses at a regionally accredited postsecondary institution must be submitted. Veterans eligible for VA educational training benefits must be in a degree-seeking status in order to be certified for VA benefits.

A special student is subject to the same academic regulations and discipline as other students. Application for degree-seeking status should be made upon completion of 12 semester hours at Saint Leo University.

Appeal of Admission Decision

Applicants denied admission to Saint Leo University may appeal the decision by filing a written request for review to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment within 30 days of the decision. The applicant may submit additional documentation, which will be reviewed along with all previously submitted credentials. The applicant will be informed of the decision within 30 days of the receipt of the request for review.

Student Financial Assistance

Saint Leo University awards institutional, federal, and various state financial aid to eligible students who are enrolled in a degree program and attending at least half time.

Financial aid is any form of assistance that helps to pay college education expenses. Scholarships, grants, loans, and student employment programs are all classified as financial aid. Scholarships are awards based on academic achievement, personal accomplishment, or community service. Scholarships do not require repayment. Grants are awards based on financial need and also do not require repayment. Student employment programs provide part-time employment opportunities to students. Loans are funds borrowed to help pay educational costs and do require repayment of principal and interest after a student is no longer enrolled at least half time.

The upcoming sections describe the various types of available financial assistance, followed by the procedures used to apply for them.

Federal Financial Aid Sources

  • Pell Grant. Pell Grants are awarded to students who have not earned a bachelor's degree, are enrolled in a degree program, and have exceptional financial need. Awards are based on the expected family contribution (EFC) determined by the Department of Education and enrollment status.
  • Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). The Federal SEOG is awarded by Saint Leo University to Pell Grant recipients. Awards are limited based on fund availability and financial need.
  • Stafford Loan Program. All eligible students may receive a Stafford Loan regardless of financial need. Financial need is used to determine eligibility to receive a subsidized Stafford Loan. Students not qualifying for a subsidized loan may receive an unsubsidized loan. Interest accrues on unsubsidized loans while a student is enrolled in school and during grace periods. When a borrower of any Stafford Loan ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis, a six-month grace period begins; then the loan goes into repayment on principal and interest.
  • Work Study. The Federal Work Study program provides students with financial need an opportunity to earn money and gain valuable work experience. Funds are limited. Students are paid directly for hours worked.
  • PLUS Loan. To help meet educational expenses, parents may borrow through the Federal PLUS Loan. This is a low-interest, long-term loan that is approved based on creditworthiness. Parents may borrow up to the difference between educational costs and the student's financial aid.

Grants for Florida Residents

  • Resident Access Grant. The Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG) is a tuition and fee-restricted entitlement program for Florida residents attending Saint Leo University as full-time, degree-seeking students. This grant requires no repayment. It is given to Florida residents regardless of financial need or academic merit. To confirm eligibility, students must complete the FAFSA application.
  • Bright Futures. The Florida Bright Futures program provides scholarships awarded on the basis of high school academic achievement. The Florida Department of Education determines the eligibility for the Florida Academic Scholars awards, the Florida Merit Scholarship, the Florida Gold Seal Scholarship, and the Florida Academic Top Scholar Scholarship.
  • Student Assistance Grant. The Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG) is awarded by Saint Leo University with funds made available through the state of Florida. Students must be enrolled full time in an undergraduate degree program and meet eligibility standards established by the Bureau of Student Financial Assistance. FSAG funds are limited and awarded based on availability. These awards are not transferable or portable.

Grants for Georgia Residents

The Georgia Department of Education offers grants to assist students who reside in Georgia:

  • HOPE: Helping Outstanding Pupils Educationally
  • TEG: Tuition Equalization Grant

For further information on these grants, visit our website (www.saintleo.edu), and go to Financial Aid, State Aid Programs.

Institutional Scholarship and Grant Aid

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed annually to receive any
of these awards:

  • Saint Leo Endowed Scholarships and Donor Scholarships. Saint Leo is fortunate to offer scholarships made possible through the generosity of various donors. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Student Financial Services based on specified criteria. Students receiving endowed scholarships are requested to acknowledge this assistance by communicating appreciation to the donor. Endowed and donor scholarships may be used to replace previously awarded Saint Leo grant funds.

Additional Sources

  • State Scholarships. Applicants who are not Florida residents should check with their state scholarship agency regarding their eligibility for state aid.
  • Alternative Loans. The Office of Student Financial Services encourages all students eligible for federal loans to maximize their eligibility before borrowing any alternative loans. However, if you must borrow an alternative loan, we recommend that you review many alternative loan lenders and research their policies and loan terms to decide which lender is best for you. We will process an alternative loan with the lender of your choice. The best way to locate alternative lenders is to do an Internet search for "private student loans." Our office cannot suggest or recommend an alternative lender.

Financial Aid for International Students

Institutional financial aid for international students is limited. Academic scholarships are available to international students on the basis of academic qualifications and will be determined at the time that the student's application for admission is reviewed.

Generally, international students must show evidence of ability to pay all direct and indirect costs of attendance. Indirect costs include expenses not covered by tuition, room/board, and fee charges, and are such things as travel, personal living expenses, living expenses when school is not in session and when the student is unable to return home, and books. United States immigration law requires non-U.S. citizens who are not permanent residents to submit a Declaration and Certification of Finances form as proof that assets are available to cover all costs of attendance.

Educational loans are available to international students through a variety of lending institutions. Virtually all require the signature of a U.S. co-signer. For more information, call, write, or e-mail the Student Financial Services Office.

Note: Financial aid (including scholarships) for U.S. citizens living overseas will be determined as for other U.S. citizens, that is, by academic qualifications and the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How Financial Aid Awards and Amounts Are Determined

Financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need, program requirements, and fund availability. Financial need is calculated using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Using the income and asset information reported, a measurement of the family's financial strength is calculated. This calculation is the estimated family contribution (EFC). The estimated family contribution is subtracted from the cost of education to determine the student's financial need. The cost of education is made up of direct and indirect costs. Direct costs include tuition and fees. Indirect costs include estimates for books, transportation, and personal and miscellaneous costs.

Financial Aid Application Process

New University Campus Students:

  1. Apply for admission. Admission to the University is required in order to receive a financial aid award. In addition, students must also be enrolled in a degree-seeking program in order to receive financial aid.

All Students:

  1. Apply for financial aid each year after January 1 at the FAFSA website (www.fafsa.gov). Filing for federal aid is free—do not pay any service offering assistance.

    Apply early! Financial aid funds are limited. Filing your FAFSA after January 1 but before March 1 increases the opportunity to receive scholarships and grant funds. The FAFSA can be filed before official admission notification. Filing for financial aid does not affect admission to the University. Estimated tax information is acceptable. Financial aid advisors are available to assist in the completion of the FAFSA.

Contacting the Student Financial Services Office:


By phone: 800/240-7658
By e-mail: finaid@saintleo.edu

Students (and parents of dependent students) can "sign" the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically by requesting a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at the FAFSA website.

  • The PIN will be sent to the student, usually within 24–48 hours, depending on whether the PIN is sent electronically or via mail.
  • Use 2011 tax information for the 2012–2013 year.
  • Use 001526 on the FAFSA as the Saint Leo Federal School ID.
  1. The FAFSA is processed by a Central Processing Servicer (CPS), who will send each student a Student Aid Report (SAR). Saint Leo will also receive an electronic copy if listed on the FAFSA.
  2. After receiving the SAR, review it for accuracy. Corrections can be made online at www.fafsa.gov or by calling the Department of Education at 800/433-4323.
  3. The SAR will indicate if the student has been selected for "verification" by the CPS. This will be written on the SAR as "your file has been selected for verification" or "you will need to provide financial documents." If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, you will need to do the following:
    • You are considered an independent student,
      • Submit a 2011 IRS Transcript for you and your spouse;
      • Submit a 2011 IRS Wage Transcript for you and your spouse;
      • Submit a completed 2012–2013 Independent Verification Worksheet (available at www.saintleo.edu/finaid).
    • You are considered a dependent student,
      • Submit 2011 IRS Transcript for your parent(s);
      • Submit a 2011 IRS Wage Transcript for you and your parent(s);
      • Submit a completed 2012–13 Dependent Verification Worksheet (available at www.saintleo.edu/finaid).
    • If you did use the IRS Data Retrieval tool and were still selected for verification, you need to complete the appropriate Verification Worksheet.
    • Additional documents may be requested during the verification process.
    • Deadlines

New University Campus Students:  All required documentation must be submitted prior to the last two weeks of your first term/semester. If you fail to submit the required documentation prior to the deadline, your financial aid package will be canceled and may result in a balance owed to the University that must be paid in full prior to subsequent registration, transcript release, or graduation.

All Students: All required documents must be submitted prior to the last two weeks of your first term/semester. If you fail to submit the required documents prior to the deadline, you may not be eligible for financial aid.

  1. After the SAR has been received and reviewed by the Student Financial Services Office, eligible students will receive an award letter. The award letter indicates what aid the student may receive if all requirements are met. Requirements to receive aid include the following:

Enrollment: All financial aid requires enrollment. Pell and FSEOG grants are adjusted according to enrollment. FSEOG requires at least half-time enrollment.

Florida state aid, such as FRAG and FSAG, requires (1) 12 credit hours enrollment and (2) enrollment for the entire semester (minimum 15 weeks or Fall 1 and Spring 2 or Spring 1 and Spring 2). Stafford loans require at least half-time enrollment for the entire loan period requested.

Eligibility: Any changes in eligibility may result in a reduction or elimination of award. To receive financial aid, a student must meet fundamental eligibility requirements:

  • be a citizen of the United States or permanent resident for federal and state funds
  • be enrolled as a degree-seeking student
  • be making satisfactory progress toward a degree
  • be registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • be a high school graduate or possess a high school equivalency
  • not be in default on a federal student loan*
  • not owe a repayment on a federal grant*
  • not have exceeded the annual or aggregate federal loan limits

*The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) must indicate that a student is not in default or owe a repayment of a federal grant before Saint Leo will award and/or disburse any federal or state funds to the student.

Fund availability: Funding may change during the course of the year because some funds, such as FSEOG and FSAG, have a limited amount of funds available. In addition, Florida and Georgia aid award amounts may change due to state budget adjustments.

  1. To apply for Stafford loans:

    Saint Leo University participates in the Direct Loan Program. To receive a Stafford Loan, you must complete a master promissory note (MPN) through Direct Loans. Instructions for completing the MPN are on our website at:
    • www.saintleo.edu
    • Click on Financial Aid.
    • Click on Federal and Alternative Loans.
    • Click on Master Promissory Note Instructions.

Students who have already received a loan at Saint Leo:

  • In order to accept or decline the Stafford loans offered on your award letter in estimated status, you must go to eLion at https://elion.saintleo.edu. Under the heading Financial Aid, click on Accept (or Reject) My Financial Aid Awards.
  1.  Deadlines: There are federal, state, and other deadlines that must be met in order to receive financial aid. Student Aid Reports must be received prior to the last day of attendance in order to be considered for eligibility. However, students should apply as early as possible, for applications are processed based on the current volume. Students applying for a student loan must accept the loan at least two weeks before the end of the requested loan period in order to be considered for eligibility.

Disbursement of Funds

All students attending Saint Leo University are charged tuition and fees. Students living on University Campus are charged for housing and meal plans. Students receiving financial aid will receive a bill from the University.

Financial aid is disbursed in accordance with the financial aid award letter and after the add/drop period has ended. Awards may be adjusted if enrollment, verification, and academic requirements have not been met.

The Office of Student Financial Services is responsible for vouchering any financial aid funds in excess of tuition, fees, and other costs.

Academic Progress and Financial Aid

This section applies to all Saint Leo University academic merit scholarships, Saint Leo University grants and scholarships, the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Student, State Grants, Federal Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and the Federal PLUS loan.

Policy Basics

Effective July 1, 2011, federal regulations implemented significant changes to the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy, adding new restrictions.

Satisfactory academic progress status is based on the student’s entire academic record at all schools attended, regardless of whether he or she received financial aid. If a student transfers in coursework from other institutions, the office of Student Financial Services is required under federal regulation to count all attempted credit hours in the SAP calculation, for both completion rate and maximum time frame.

SAP is calculated at the end of each traditional and Borrower Based Academic Year (BBAY) semester (BBAY semester is combined of two 8-week modules) after grades have been recorded by the Registrar. Due to the limited time frame between the end of one module/semester and the start of another, students may not be notified of their SAP status by the office of Student Financial Services prior to the start of the next semester and may be ineligible for federal financial aid, so students are strongly encouraged to calculate their current SAP status based on transcripts available through Elion to determine eligibility for federal financial aid.

How to check SAP status through eLion:

  • visit www.mysaintleo.edu
  • select “Elion” at the top of the page
  • select “Students Menu” on the right sidebar
  • select “transcript” under “Academic Profile”
  • the following items will be displayed on your transcript:
    • In order to calculate your total ATTEMPTED hours IF you have courses on your transcript with a grade of “W” (Withdrawal), “F” (Fail), “FA” (Failure to Attend), or “I” (Incomplete), you will need to account for those credits in your total attempted hours per federal regulation. A minimum of 3 (three) credit hours should be counted for EACH class that was withdrawn, failed, failure to attend, or incomplete and ADD the total number to “Total Earned Credits” on your transcript in order to determine total attempted hours.
      • For example, student has 2 grades of “W” (6 credit hours), 1 grade of “F” (3 credit hours), 3 grades of “I” (9 credit hours), and one grade of “I” (3 credit hours) and the bottom of the transcript shows “Total Earned Credits” of 80. To calculate total attempted credits, add (6+3+9+3)+80=101 Total attempted credit hours.
    • To calculate completion rate, take total ATTEMPTED credit hours and divide by total EARNED hours.
      • For example: 80/101 = 79%
    • “Cumulative GPA” (must meet SAP minimum GPA requirements)
    • If you are unable to determine your SAP status, please see your academic advisor, visit Financial Aid on campus, or call 800/240-7658 for assistance.

Two Requirement Categories–Qualitative & Quantitative

Qualitative Requirement–The qualitative requirement sets a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average for the degree level at which the student is classified. Note: This is the cumulative GPA used to determine your SLU academic status, and does not include grades from courses taken at another school.

Undergraduate Students–Students must maintain academic standing consistent with GPA requirements below. At 60 or more credits attempted one must maintain a minimum SLU GPA of 2.0 at all times.

Total Number of Credits Attempted Minimum Cumulative GPA
144 1.50
45-59 1.70
60 or more 2.0

Graduate students–A 3.0 SLU minimum GPA is required at all times.
Quantitative Requirement–The quantitative requirement has two parts, a maximum time frame and a required completion ratio. The maximum time frame requirements are different from undergraduate to graduate.

Undergraduate Students

Maximum time frame (maximum attempted credit hours)–Eligibility ends when the student has attempted 180 credit hours, which includes credits attempted at any school prior to and while enrolled at SLU regardless of whether the student received financial aid at the time that he or she attempted them.

No longer eligible–Once students have attempted 180 credit hours, they are no longer eligible for financial aid as an undergraduate student, including a second baccalaureate degree.
No extended eligibility for changes in major–There is no added time for a change in major, except if a major is no longer offered and the student is required to change.

All undergraduate degrees at SLU require 120 earned credits. Federal regulations stipulate that the maximum time frame for an undergraduate student may not exceed 150% of the published length of the academic program.
Completion Ratio–Students must earn at least 67% of all credit hours attempted at any school. This is a cumulative calculation of all attempted and earned credits during all terms, at all schools attended.

Graduate Students

Maximum time frame (maximum attempted credit hours)–Must earn your graduate degree within 150% of the time limitations set by the Graduate School for your graduate program.
Completion ratio–Students must earn at least 67% of all attempted credit hours attempted at any school in the graduate program. This is a cumulative calculation of all attempted and earned credits during all terms, at all schools attended

Policy Details

When is SAP Determined?

Initial Review–First-semester, first-time college students are considered to be meeting SAP during the first SLU semester (or two 8-week modules).

Newly admitted transfer students must meet the SAP requirements once all final transcripts have been received and reviewed. SAP will be calculated after all final transcripts have been received and recorded by SLU.

End of Every Semester (two 8 week modules) Review–SAP status is calculated at the end of each semester (two 8-week modules), after grades are posted by the Registrar. Review Periods are Fall, Spring, and Summer for combined 8-week module students, and SAP will be evaluated (Fall 1–Fall 2), (Spring 1–Spring 2), and (Summer 1–Summer 2) or (Fall 2–Spring 1), (Spring 2–Summer 1), (Summer 2–Fall 1) depending on the academic calendar the student started, which determines his or her Borrower Based Academic Year.

SAP Status

SAP Warning–The first time the student falls short of meeting the required 67% completion ratio or minimum GPA requirement, the student is placed in WARNING status.  NOTE: The student will remain eligible to receive financial aid while in warning status.

After attending one semester (two 8-week modules) on WARNING status, the completion ratio must be at least 67% of all attempted credits and student must be meeting minimum required GPA for respective grade level, and within maximum time frame, or the student becomes ineligible for financial aid.

SAP Cancel–When the status is SAP CANCEL (ineligible), the student will no longer qualify for financial aid.

 1.    If the student has not reached the required 67% completion rate or minimum GPA requirement by the end of the Financial Aid Warning Period (one semester or two 8-week modules) or

2.   When the student reaches the maximum time frame of 150% of published program requirements (undergraduate limit of 180 attempted credits, graduate student limit of 54 attempted credits, ED.S. student limit of 58 attempted credits), the student will be SAP CANCEL and ineligible for financial aid.

Probation–Probation status will be granted only with an approved appeal for extenuating circumstances and when the University has determined the student will meet SAP standards by the end of the next semester (payment period) or within the time frame specified in an approved Academic Plan. If the student fails to follow the Academic Plan submitted with his or her financial aid appeal, the student’s financial aid will be canceled immediately and there are no further appeal options.

What happens when the student’s status is SAP Cancel?

The student is no longer eligible for federal financial aid, including grants, federal Stafford loans, as well as institutional and/or state financial aid that require an eligible SAP status.

 How can a student regain eligibility?

Appeal–If extenuating circumstances during specific terms of enrollment caused the student to not earn all attempted credits, or maintain the minimum GPA, the student may file a SAP Appeal.  Appeal forms are available on the SLU Financial Aid website

Examples of extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, unexpected death or major hospitalization of an immediate family member, extended hospitalization or medical condition of student, house fire, or a victim of a violent crime. Unexpected employment or work issues beyond the student’s control may be considered on a case-by-case basis. The appeal should address and document these extenuating circumstances AND describe how the circumstances have changed so that the student is in a better position to be academically successful.

Appeals must include supporting documentation such as academic evaluation and an academic plan signed by academic advisor. Incomplete appeals, forms accompanying the appeal, or those missing documentation will be denied. A committee will review the appeal and post a decision on Elion and notify the student in writing within 2 (two) weeks of the appeal submission; the committee’s decision is final.


Appeal requirements:

1. The student must provide a typewritten personal statement (not written by someone else on the student's behalf)  and attach documentation of extenuating circumstances for specific terms of study with unearned (dropped, failed, incomplete, missing grades, repeated) credits that caused the student to not meet the SAP requirements.

2. The student must explain what has changed that will allow the student to either meet the SAP requirements at the next calculation, or meet the requirements of the academic plan.

3. The student must attach an academic plan developed by an academic advisor that ensures the student will meet the SAP requirements by a specific point in time, if FA determines that he or she is unable to meet SAP requirements by the end of the next semester or payment period.

Changes in major, double majors or minors may cause the student to reach the maximum attempted hours and lose eligibility before earning a degree.

Incomplete grades, missing grades, failing grades, course withdrawals all lower the student’s completion ratio because they are counted as attempted, but not earned credits. They also count against the student's maximum attempted hours. Incomplete grades, missing grades, and withdrawals after the add/drop period are counted as attempted credit hours in the calculation.

Courses taken for pass/fail grades will count against both the student's maximum attempted credits and the student's completion ratio.   

Repeated courses count as attempted credit hours each time the student registers for them, but reduce the completion ratio because they count as earned credits only once.  

Credits taken while enrolled in study abroad programs will count toward the student's maximum attempted credits and completion rate. Note: Credits count as attempted, but not earned, until the student's official transcript is reviewed and processed by the SLU Registrar. This delay could cause the student to fall into warning or ineligible status for completion rate.

Remedial courses do not count as either attempted or earned credits.

Late posted grades or grade changes will not change the student’s status. The student may request a recalculation of SAP after the student has confirmed with the Registrar that the grade change has been posted to the student’s academic record.

Withdrawal from the University

  • In accordance with Federal Title IV regulations, federal financial aid is earned based upon the length of time that a student is enrolled. When a student withdraws from Saint Leo University before 60 percent of the term or semester has been completed, a portion of any federal loans or grants will be refunded to the federal aid program. This applies to students who withdraw, officially or unofficially, from all of their classes. The Federal Title IV refund regulations are separate and distinct from Saint Leo University tuition refund policies. For further information, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services.

Other Financial Information

Finance and Accounting Office Policies

  1. The advance payment for each semester is nonrefundable unless the student becomes academically ineligible. After classes begin, laboratory and special fees are nonrefundable.
  2. All regular charges are payable as billed.
  3. Students eligible for VA educational benefits may, under special circumstances, arrange for a deferment of tuition payments. Such deferment may be granted for one term at a time. It is the responsibility of the student to fulfill financial obligations to the University. Failure to do so may result in the student not being allowed to register in a subsequent term. Further information may be obtained from the University VA-certifying officials at University Campus or a regional Continuing Education Center.
  4. Grants and loans administered by the University are credited to the student's account in an amount prorated by semester or term.
  5. Outside scholarships: A student receiving an outside scholarship or other type of monetary award must present written evidence of the amount and conditions of the award to the University's Student Financial Services Office. When the award is presented to the University, the Student Financial Services Office will credit that amount to the student's account. In certain cases these awards may be posted to the student's account as "pending financial aid," but if the award is not received by the University, it will be removed. In these cases the student is responsible for all charges.
  6. Students on the Work Study Program are paid semi-monthly by payroll check for hours worked. A portion of a paycheck may be applied toward their tuition or fees; these funds are not automatically applied to student financial indebtedness.
  7. For reasons of nonpayment, the Student Financial Services Office may at times place a student on financial hold. Financial hold could consist of prohibiting registration, campus housing, class attendance, meal plan privileges, and all other student privileges. No transcripts, diplomas, certificates of attendance, or certain other official documents will be released if a student has financial indebtedness to the University. If a student is put on financial hold, the student should immediately contact the Student Financial Services Office at 800/240-7658.
  8. Errors: The University reserves the right to adjust clerical or computational errors in the aid award.
  9. Unavailability of funds: Awards are made subject to available funds. The University reserves the right to cancel or modify awards if funds are ultimately determined to be unavailable to the University.

Questions Concerning Charges and Payments

All questions from Division of Continuing Education and Student Services students relating to charges and payments should be directed to the Continuing Education Center. Questions or concerns that cannot be resolved at the Continuing Education Center should be addressed to the Office of Student Financial Services. All questions from Center for Online Learning students relating to charges and payments should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services. All questions from University College students relating to charges and payments should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services.

Financial Responsibility

The University will not release transcripts, diplomas, certificates of attendance, or certain other official documents if a student has financial indebtedness. The balance on the student account must be zero for the student to be permitted the privilege of participating in Commencement and Baccalaureate exercises.

By enrolling in and attending University courses, students acknowledge and agree that they are responsible for all charges incurred as a result of their matriculation and enrollment in the University. This includes late charges, collection agency costs, and attorney's fees imposed on delinquent student accounts. In many instances, some of the charges may be settled by a student's sponsor, employer, or other interested party; however, the student is ultimately responsible for his or her account.

Past-Due Accounts

Any accounts over 90 days past due are subject to being sent to an external collections agency. Transcripts and diplomas will not be released until the account balance is zero.

Personal Property

The University is not responsible for loss or for damage to the personal property of students. In some cases, a homeowner’s insurance policy carried by a parent/guardian may provide coverage for this purpose or can be extended to cover the student’s personal belongings while living in the residence halls. Students are encouraged to examine their current policy or to secure personal property/rental insurance. Students are also encouraged to establish bank accounts at a local bank so they do not have large amounts of cash in their rooms. An ATM is available on University Campus.


Refunds due students who have credit balances in their tuition account will automatically be issued within 14 days. Questions regarding refunds should be addressed to the Office of Student Financial Services.